Monday, May 27, 2013

An Example of a 13 Age/Archmage Engine Setting

In the latest edition of See Page XX (the monthly newsletter of Pelgrane Press) there's an article detailing an overview of The 13th Age of Camelot.  While I'm not terribly familiar with the details of the Arthurian Legend (outside of the general knowledge stuff), this setting looks absolutely amazing!  (And I do have several Arthurian books on my to-read list, but it's a pretty long list).

I especially like the variation of the Icon system, which become Chivalric Aspects.  What I DON'T like is how restrictive the class choices are (especially considering the heavy use of the Ranger class, which doesn't offer a whole lot of options).  But that could probably be altered to suit a given group's needs.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe it's been over a month since I've posted here!!!  I've been busier with work, and there hasn't been very much in the way of news (it's pretty much a waiting game for both 13th Age and Edge of the Empire, my two most "active" systems at the present time, to get printed).

The 13th Age campaign has been going well, though.  I'm currently in something of a transition phase where the players are getting off of Crescent Isle to branch away from the Axtalrath setting a bit.  They'll almost certainly be back, but the island's been pretty thoroughly explored, the main adversaries are either effectively neutralized (aside from some loose ends) or out of the PCs' league, and perhaps most importantly I've got a lot of ideas swimming around in my head that happen off of the island.  Axtalrath is a cool setting, but I've recently found it somewhat constricting, especially in terms of utilizing Icon rolls effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment